May 21, 2009

Happy Friday!

So I have made it to Friday and I must admit that I had forgotten just how fabulous Friday is! Since I have not been part of the working world for the past 7 months, I have totally lost track of time. However, after this week I am completely ready for my weekend.

Monday was a total mess as I was completely unprepared. Tuesday was brilliant as I quickly learned that 5th and 6th graders love to play the ever popular game of Hangman. Wednesday was a total disaster because for some reason I had 4 classes back to back of evil little children that would not pay attention, would not sit in their chairs and would not be quiet regardless of what I tried. These kids were standing on top of their desks, punching each other, running around the class room, slapping each other with their rulers and even refusing to play games. I wanted to jump out the window by the end of Wednesday. Needless to say, I was totally dreading Thursday, but Thursday turned out to be spectacular.

Trying to figure out any sort of pattern here is a ridiculous task, so you just have to put a smile on your face and roll with the punches. I was stopped by a Thai teacher on my way to my first class on Thursday because she wanted to share her banana leaf wrapped treats with me. I am a little apprehensive to try the banana leaf wrapped foods here as I have seen bugs inside some of them, weird mushy looking stuff and who knows what else in others. I have actually tried fried grasshoppers since I have been here and they were surprisingly pretty tasty, however, I was just not in the mood for any insects at 9:30 in the morning. After exchanging our sawatdee kas and little bows, she handed me the little wrapped treat and told me that this was just for me. I thanked her and started to walk towards my class, but she stopped me and asked me to try it right then and there. I had no choice as I did not want to offend her, so I nervously unwrapped my mystery food. I was relieved to see that there were no bugs inside, but I was a little unsure of the clear gelatin substance that was wrapped around a ball of who knows what. It was bite size, so I just counted to 3 in my head and popped the entire thing in my mouth. I started to chew it up as quickly as possible to avoid actually having to taste it. The gelatin was quite sticky and was attaching itself all over my teeth to the point where I could barely swallow it. I nodded my head in appreciation for this "delightful" treat and walked towards my class attempting to choke it down. I managed to swallow it some how as the kids were standing and giving me my morning greeting! My classes were absolutely amazing all day on Thursday and that brings us to today...FRIDAY!!!

I am sitting in my little air-con teacher's office after my first 2 classes today with a big smile on my face. We played hangman and ball toss with great success. I was able to control the classes and get them all to participate!! The secrete is...bribery!! I went to Tesco last night, which is kind of like a Thai version of Target and I purchased big bags of hard candy. It is amazing what you can get a 5th or 6th grader to do when you have a little piece of hard candy in your hand!

Enjoy your weekend...I know that I sure will!!