June 15, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Ceremony...

So last Thursday was the official day for the Thai students to show their appreciation to their hard working teachers. I was wrapping up my first class on Wednesday morning when some sort of announcement came on over the loud speaker. Of course it was all in Thai, so I could not understand a word of it. However, once my kids started going totally bananas I figured it had something to do with getting out of class for some reason or another. Sure enough as I was walking to my next class all my students were heading in the opposite direction. I poked my head into my classroom and was very excited to find it totally empty!

Now I have been warned about classes being cancelled with no heads up given to the farang teachers and this being an annoying part of teaching in Thailand, but to be perfectly honest, I was happier than could be to have the following hour to myself. I turned around and marched straight back to my office at which time I discovered that grades 5 and 6 were practicing for the annual teacher appreciation ceremony that we were apparently having the following morning. Whatever the reason was for not having class was completely fine with me, but what an added bonus to find out that I was going to be appreciated the following day! I worked 8 years in the finance industry and never once did they have an appreciation ceremony for those of us helping to run the show, so I was elated.

Later in the day I was approached by many of my students and their hands were blood red and dripping with some sort of dye. I found out that they were all handing making these amazing flower arrangements as part of the ceremony that was to take place the following morning. Everyone was in good spirits as they practiced singing their songs and playing their instruments.

The following morning rolled around and the farang teachers were finally excited to go to school to see what this appreciation ceremony was all about. Our morning classes were cancelled as well, which of course added to our happiness. The ceremony started with the younger kids being led by the older students through the songs and what not. They all lined up with their hand made flower arrangements and took turns paying their respects to the teachers that were sitting up on the stage. Meanwhile the school band was playing traditional Thai music, which just added to the overall ambiance of the ceremony.

The director of the school got up and gave some sort of speech that nobody was paying any attention to and then proceeded to sit back down on his pleather couch that he has moved all around the school with him. This guy loves his pleather couches…there are several in his office, he had one brought down for English Camp just for him, one in the assembly hall and then one magically appeared on stage for this brief ceremony. This guy is a total trip with his pleather couch!

After the first round of younger kiddies came through and celebrated their teachers, it was time for my kids to show their appreciation for me. I climbed up on stage and sat next to one of my fellow Thai teachers and enjoyed the music, singing and praising. Although, I could not understand what they were saying in Thai, it was very enjoyable to say the least. Watching the students pay their respects to their teachers was really great and observing the Thai teachers bask in their glory was even more amazing.

Teaching in Thailand is no easy task and having to manage this many children is even harder than one can imagine. My hat goes off to the men and women here for the amount of patience they must exude in order to last so many years in the Thai school system. I have successfully made it through one month without pulling my hair out; however, those of you reading this should start taking bets on how much longer I will hold out before running into the jungles and screaming for mercy!


PS: This is a shout out to Kelly's dad, so if you are reading this...I updated my blog today just for you!! Can't wait to meet you!!