October 29, 2010

Getting Back Into The Matrix...

So as many of you know... I have been living off the grid for the past 2 years while I "figure" things out.

Things like...

What do I want to do when I grow up?


Clearly still working on that one...  You might be asking yourself... which one is she working on?  The growing up bit or the job bit?  The answer is most definitely both!

The job bit...

I spent the first couple of months of my journey down under becoming a certified yogi...


Yea... the orange dot thing just didn't really work for me!  Don't get me wrong... I still adore my yoga practice, however, I am not sure I am ready to become 100% stress free just yet!  Stress keeps me moving forward... so what next?

Teaching English to 1,000 screaming Thai kids sounds fun, so I think I'll jump on a plane and go to a country where I can't speak or read any of their language!  See... I told you... I like stress!


Oh did I say "teach" what I meant to say was "crowd control" because you see... I am not actually a teacher!  Tiny detail that I neglected to care about before moving to Thailand.  Oops!  Now once again... please don't confuse my confession of having no clue as to how to teach as a sign of me not loving this brief career change because it too made for an insanely funny experience.


One that no matter how hard I try to recreate, for those of you reading this... I will never be able to actually do it justice.  I mean seriously right now... who am I?  A freakin rock star?  Why am I signing autographs and where the hell am I?  What am I doing?  Why is it 10 million degrees and why am I going deaf?  Umm... AWESOME!!!  Career thing... still a work in progress.

The growing up bit...

Perhaps there is hope...


Then again... maybe not...


Oh well... what can I say other than I give Peter Pan a run for his money and I kinda like it that way!

Next on the list of things to figure out...

What is important to me?

Loved ones most certainly top the list...

My Pops...


He is pretty bad ass and I proud to be his daughter!

My Mom...


I just realized that I don't actually have a picture of my Mom on my computer, which should be considered a crime.  One that I will have to rectify immediately.  She has survived some pretty traumatic stuff in her life, which makes her pretty bad ass as well.  It must run in the family!

My friends who are also my family...







Because with the right friends... you can conquer anything!

Find some inner peace...


Umm... well... what can I say... still working on that, but rest assured I have definitely made some progress! I certainly know how to put my feet up and chill.


Get over my fear of gigantic bugs...

Done'ish!! Got to luv the zoom lens!

Remember how to laugh...

Check

Try exotic foods...

Tasted like popcorn.  
Tip... remove the legs as they are super sharp!

Explore new cultures...


Thailand

Laos

Peru

Ecuador

Vietnam

Cambodia

Find a hobby...
















Done... definitely love photography.

With this being said... the time has come for me to rejoin the matrix.  I have mixed feelings about getting back on the grid.  
You don't realize how tied down you are with a job, bills, rent, cars, insurance... before you know it your overwhelming desire to buy stuff that you don't really need or want ends up owning your life. Without realizing it you are wearing clothes that might not necessarily fit your true identity, cutting your hair in a way that will impress those around you... when the truth is you don't want to brush your hair let alone get up 20 minutes earlier to style it.

Strangest haircut... EVER!

I have not worn anything higher than a pair of flat flip-flops for almost 2 years; that is this until this past Monday when I pulled on my favorite pair of black suede boots (or so I thought) and set off to walk a measly 8 blocks.  These boots might have been made for walking in my previous life, however, in this life, I definitely proved to be a complete awkward mess in them.


On top of the fact that I was struggling to hold onto my bag without falling flat on my face- I suddenly felt the overwhelming and unexplainable desire to duck into Starbucks to get my caffeine fix.  I don't even like Starbucks, but I love walking around with the cup in my hand.  What is this about?!  No clue.    

This is a place where I have to actually change my name to Georgie, otherwise, I have to hold up the line trying to spell out Geor... gea...nna to the person taking my order.  We all know that this never works smoothly the first time around, so then there is scratching out of the letters followed by a blank stare and then the process starts all over again.


And I just can't be bothered because I know what my name is... I really don't need it written on my cup of coffee.   I don't care how much you butcher my name.  I am not that insecure, so please just make something up, scribble it on the damn cup and give me my freaking caffeine before the lady standing behind me explodes with impatience.


I used to think that getting a cup of coffee was supposed to be a relaxing affair, but it's not.  You see, I almost always make the mistake of ordering a medium cup when in fact I should be requesting a grande and they never hesitate to correct me on that.  Somehow I keep mistaking this for America where we say the word "medium" when we want the size between small and large, but what I must remember is that when you are in Starbucks- you have some how magically traveled to a cafe in Italy where it is mandatory to say "grande" instead.


Umm.. OK... whatever you want to call it... can I just get it to go... please!  Just when you think you have completed your order... then comes the dreaded question... Would I like a muffin or scone with that?  Well... yes actually I would love a blueberry scone, but unfortunately I don't have a third arm, so I will have to take a pass on the pastry today.  Thank you and I'm out!



As I am walking along watching everyone hustle themselves down the street with serious purpose plastered across their faces, it dawns on me... should I be wearing some makeup?  Oh... uh... forgot about that... I mean I think I look OK without any, but every other female I pass has taken those extra few minutes to slap some color on their faces.  And their hair seems to be styled and well... brushed.  Ugh.


Sooo not going to happen for today's interview, but make a mental note to go buy some on your climb back up the street.  Interview goes fine... it is with a job placement agency, so nothing to get overly excited over.  However, the practice is always good or so I tell myself.

OK... time to purchase some makeup, but what to buy?  Eyeliner and mascara are a definite must, but do I have to do the eyeshadow, blush, foundation stuff as well?!  Feeling overwhelmed I decide to get some eyeshadow to go with my eyeliner and then proceeded home to try and apply it to my face.  Can't be that hard, right?  I mean it's not like I have never worn makeup before and just because I have not put any on for two years doesn't mean that I can't still do it, right?

It will be like riding a bike...um...   
WRONG!!

I had eyeliner everywhere except for ON my eyes and I could not figure out for the life of me how to put two different shades of eyeshadow on.  Where do you blend, how much of each color do you put on, does the lighter color go on the top part of your eye or the eyelid?  These are questions that a 32 year old girl should not be asking herself and yet there I was standing there in front of the mirror completely lost.
Within one week of trying to acclimate back into the matrix, I have discovered that not only can I not walk in heels, but more importantly... I don't even want to walk in heels for longer than maybe 10 minutes and even that is pushing it.  I have learned that I have no idea how to put makeup on and I hate brushing my hair.

Not exactly sure how I am going to make my way back onto the grid, but I ain't willing to give up just yet!!  Find a job, find an apartment, practice walking in heels, have Julie show me how to apply my makeup and then watch out matrix... cause here I come!