March 15, 2009

Nimbin, AU...





Oh how I have come to love Sunday! It is the one day of the week that we get off and this Sunday arrived just in time! Nicole and I woke up for the sunrise today to do a bit of yoga on the beach and it was beautiful. After breakfast we decided to hitch a ride back to Byron Bay and set off for a little adventure. We hit up the information center for a recommendation and this is where we were told to go to Nimbin, AU for the Sunday markets. We hopped and bus and off we went!

I had never heard of Nimbin until today as it is a small little community of lease than 50,000. Most of villagers live up in the surrounding mountains as this is where they grow their marijuana! Yes ladies and gentle...I unknowingly went to the marijuana capital of AU and it was quite an experience. We stepped off the bus into tye-dye hell where the incense were burning profusely all over the place. I am guessing this is their attempt to cover the smell, but I am not really sure what the point of that is because all the shops sell every type of smoking apparatus that you can imagine. There is a shop called Bringabong and if that doesn't scream obvious then I don't know what does! Nicole and I took a left hand turn down what we thought was a little ally with shops, but we soon discovered that this was more like the ally where you go purchase pot by the bag full. If you are not feeling like a bag of it then you can always opt for the baked goods.

We walked around and laughed at the ridiculousness of this little town, had some lunch and then hopped the first bus out of there. We were so exhausted by all of this that we both completely conked out on the return trip. It kind of reminded me of the Twilight Zone as it was very surreal! Everyone was super spacey and there was no surprise as to why! Even the dogs looked stoned! It is not legal there, but the locals are certainly pushing for their prized plant to become a part of the permissible market!

That was Sunday here in good ol' Australia!